Monday, March 24, 2008

Books I use

I have many books that I use frequently as resources for sustainable living, and gardening here in the southwest. Here are some of my favorites:

Native Plants for Southwestern Landscapes- Judy Mielke
A great, detailed, and meaty resource for those wanting to plant native gardens. I have mostly native plants, but not all, and I wish that I had found this before I did the bulk if my planting.This book truly describes native plants that thrive here with little or no extra water.

The next few books I describe discuss plants that do well here in the heat of central Arizona, but may not necessarily be drought tolerant, and may therefore need supplemental water.

Arizona Gardeners Guide- Mary Irish
A resource for more amateur gardeners such as myself. easy to read and dip into for quick reading.

Low Water Use Plants- Carol Shuler
Has a useful chart of plants and their appearence, needs, and preferred location.

Gardening In the Southwest-Sunset books
A beautiful book with lovely photographs of dreamy southwest gardens.

Plants For Dry Climates- Mary Rose Duffield and Warren Jones
Useful when used to compliment the other books I have already mentioned.

The Desert Gardeners Calendar- Georg Brookbank
Again, useful when used with the other books I have listed.

The Garden Guy, and Extreme Gardening- Dave Owens
Excellant books, especially used together. Explain simply and clearly how to grow organically in the dry desert of Phoenix. Love these books!

The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency- John Seymour
There is a newer edition of this book but I still read through this and dream. My Dad had this when I was growing up and also used to dream of self sufficiency. Although taken to the extreme, these themes are never more important than they are now for us all.

Making a Difference- Amy Irvine
Stories of grassroot efforts by environmental groups to preserve and save our natural places. Inspiring reading for those darker days!

The Consumers Guide to Effective Environmental Choices-Michael Brower and Warren Leon
Practical and useful resource.

One Makes a Difference- Julia Butterfly Hill
One woman out to save the world. Great book.

Living Organic- Adrienne Clarke, Helen Porter, Helen Quested, and Pat Thomas
Another practical guide to living green.

100 Great Natural Remedies- Penelope Ody
Quick resource with beautiful photographs.

I am planning to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver soon, have heard great things about it!

I LOVE Mother Earth News and have subscribed for several years. It is great value, packed with information for us amateurs, and the more hard core earth lovers. A yearly subscription of 6 issues is great value, and I learn something everytime I read and can't wait for each issue. I have to be careful not to get ahead of myself though because installing solar panels is unfortunately not in our immediate plans.

OK, off to get the day started!

No comments: