Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Grey Skies

It is rather overcast here in the valley of the sun this morning. I have to say that I do enjoy the occasional grey days that we have, and even better, the rainy days that we get once in a blue moon. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the weather we have right now, but I do like the contrast of variable weather. I think it must be from my English roots. I always loved the cold winter days at home, warm inside with a big log fire. It can get pretty cold here in the desert in the winter, and of course very cold up north, not even two hours away.


I have a week off work, and big plans. I am going to successfully make some bread that looks pretty, AND tastes good! I also want to dig out another bed in the veggie garden, and start planning what to plant for the fall, because I am a too late getting organised for summer veggies at this point. I am used to the usual seasons for veggie growing, so it is taking me a while to get used to it here.

I also want to go to the nursery to buy a few plants to fill in a some bare spots in the back yard. I am thinking about getting some Texas Sage which is very drought resistant, and does well in hot, dry areas. I also want to get some Brittlebush which is native here in our Sonoran desert, and is also amazingly drought resistant and hardy. I tried planting some Brittlebush seeds earlier in the spring but they didn't grow, so I will cheat and buy a little plant. It self seeds very well once established making for many more lovely plants. I usually go to Summerwinds Nursery because they have a great selection of native, and drought resistant plants though are a little more pricey than some of the bigger chains. They also take back the black plastic pots for recycling which is great!

I have been reading some of the gardening blogs around. Some of the blogs, and gardens are absolutely beautiful like The Hummingbird Garden, and Sweet Home and Garden Chicago. For these bloggers spring is coming to the midwest, and bringing with it daffodils, and crocus', both of which are faves of mine. It is strange, as the midwest emerges from winter and looks forward to spring and summer, we enjoy our beautiful spring, and try not to think about our summer and the intense heat it will bring. For now though I will just enjoy the lovely coolness we are having.

2 comments:

bodaat said...

I love Texas sage! Good luck with planting. My patio garden is looking a little foreworn as I keep forgetting to water regularly. I'm back on track though!

bestdank said...

Fantastic start on the blog. Great Pictures! Keep up the good work.