Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Better Late Than Never

polar bear

The polar bear has finally made it's way on to the endangered species list. It has been a long time coming in view of the ever increasing evidence that global warming is threatening it's very being, and was by all accounts a hard fought battle.

Greenhouse gas emissions and global warming are of course the reason for the sea ice melting at such an alarming rate. So placing polar bears on the endangered species list will not be nearly enough in the long term unless huge strides are made very soon to legislate reduction of greenhouse gas emissions here in the US, and worldwide.

3 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

I keep writing to companies, talking with the school and complaining in shops about Teflon coating on school uniforms.

It's supposed to protect clothing from stains - but it's found in the bodies of Polar Bears. So so stupidly unnecessary!

And I can't see that washing traditional saucepans is such a trial that they need to be coated either.

. . . . not that I'm getting anywhere with my mini-campaign!

Esther

P.S. In an earlier post, you had a picture of your children with a cuddly polar bear. My children gave me one exactly the same for Christmas!

Mo said...

I feel the same way about all the c*** in carpets to prevent stains!

I am also slowly trying to replace our saucepans with non stick ones!

As for your mini campaign, all campaigns, even the big ones started out small you know! :)

Viooltje said...

Definitely better late then never, but still - so many decades too late. At least in my opinion. I wonder how many species have to become extinct, how many of those poor souls need to suffer in order for at least one human to raise an eyebrow.