Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chickens?!

chicken
I have been getting more and more interested in raising urban chickens. The lovely people at The Phoenix Permaculture Guild have a great deal of expertise with this, as does Greg Peterson of The Urban Farm. There are frequent classes hosted by The Permaculture Guild held at the Phoenix downtown farmers market on Saturday mornings as well, and these have often included raising urban chickens. I unfortunately have not had a chance to attend one yet, but hope to soon.

Chickens are great at preparing the earth for cultivation because they scratch, and peck, and poop, and this makes for great veggie beds. They also consume kitchen scraps that may otherwise get wasted, and of course produce eggs.

It seems that one can keep chickens here in Phoenix as long as they are within a coup or other enclosed area, and are not roosters which have a tendency to be noisy. I have to say it makes me smile a little to think of feathered lovelies in our back yard in our oh so suburban neighbourhood.


I am not sure how it would work for us with the dogs because apparently stressed birds don't lay. I am quite sure my lovely Lilly would stress them out even if they were enclosed because she even tries to chase birds that are flying by overhead! It may be that this is yet another plan that needs to wait until we move to somewhere with a bigger space, but I will continue to read and learn.

5 comments:

ThomasK said...

I was in a similar situation as you last Spring when I was contemplating adding chickens to our backyard here in the Bay Area, California.

We've got a Great Dane, and I was concerned he wouldn't get along well with cooped chickens, but I made the plunge anyway. Now here we are over a year later with dozens of fresh eggs in our bellies and rich compost in our bin and I couldn't be happier.

You can read about our adventure over on our Urban Chickens blog to see just what it's been like for us to go from "chickens?!" to "CHICKENS!!" (with a little advanced planning, you'll love the experience of having your own chooks)

Mo said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement and I can't wait to read all about it! I have book marked your blog for a thorough read.

I had no idea there was such a huge, urban chicken movement out there, wonderful :)

Amy said...

I love the idea of your getting chickens. I'm sad I won't be around to see them. You'll have to take plenty of pictures of your little farm in the suburbs.

Esther Montgomery said...

If you do get chickens, it will be interesting to know which kind you keep.

Here, chickens get stressed by heat and stop laying - there must be breeds which feel differently about the sun in your part of the world!

I like chickens!

Esther

Mo said...

I don't know much about it yet Esther but there are specific breeds that do well here with the heat!