Thursday, May 8, 2008

Finished Project

I finally finished painting our patio table and benches and I am really pleased with how it turned out!

I wasn't sure half way through if I had done the right thing, but now each time I look at it I love it even more. It makes me feel really good that I changed something so I that liked it more, rather then simply discarding it and letting it get dumped into a landfill. (I don't see how it could have ended up anywhere else as it would have had to be carried out of here in pieces).

The basic premise of environmentalism is "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle". It would have been terribly hypocritical for me to have simply dumped it with all that I am trying to do with our lives to reduce our impact. I am really getting into this now and see opportunities all around our home to make it into the place we would like, without being crazy consumers. (Not that we ever have been crazy consumers, but you know what I mean).

Anyway, here it is before the paint job


And after


Nice yes? Of course the paint I used was not water based, or low VOC which is the environmental choice, but I need to take things one step at a time I guess.

My next project is mosaic-ing, (not sure that is really a word), a couple of bar stools we have that are bland, and blah. I have never done mosaic before but I'm game for anything now!

It is I suppose fitting to end this post with a picture of my bumper sticker that I have had for quite a while, but have only recently started trying to truly honor in ALL areas of our lives.


(R was delighted when he saw I'd slapped this on the back of our vehicle!!)

No comments: