Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Mum!


Today is my Mum’s birthday. I am not going to tell you exactly how old she is but I can tell you that she was a child during the 2nd World war, and it may be partly this that helped shape her into the person that she is today.

My Mum is an original environmentalist in the true meaning of the phrase, “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.” For as long as I can remember Mum has lived by these principles in her everyday life. Mum always washed and saved little baggies, was very thrifty with money, cut off the bottoms of lotion bottles so that she could get every last drop out, baked us yummy treats and home cooked meals, turned off lights, turned down the heat, unplugged appliances, composted, line dried all the washing, and of course encouraged us all to do the same. As a bratty teenager I wasn’t having any of that! It drove me CRAZY when Mum did many of these things, and I seem to remember being quite vocal about it!! (Sorry Mum!)

So, when Mum came to stay recently we both had a good laugh when she saw my plastic bag drying thingy that I use to save and dry our zip locks. She also had a good laugh when she saw me getting excited about line drying washing, and religiously turning off lights. It was at this point I realized something, something I admit I had hoped for most of my life would never happen, I was becoming like my Mum! And you know something; it isn’t so bad after all!! I am getting to be rather frugal, while my Mum has become a little less frugal, and somehow we meet in the middle quite happily now without any issues.

I also realized that much of what I have become, and many of the qualities that I have are attributable to Mum and the things that she has taught me, however hard I have tried to resist for all these years.

So Mum, thank you for being you, especially the green person that you are! I think you are the best! If more of us lived by the principles you live by, the world would be a much better place.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM!
I LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Happy birthday to the original Ms. "Green".

Titania said...

What a lovely tribute to your beloved Mum, Mo.