Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Love This!

My good friend Ands, who lives back in the UK sent me a link to this really great site called WRAP! It is an organization that "helps individuals, businesses and local authorities to reduce waste and recycle more, making better use of resources and helping to tackle climate change." Their web site offers a wealth of information on sustainability issues such as recycling, composting, and green building among others. Although it is UK based, much of it is relevant for wherever one lives.

I especially like their "Love Food Hate Waste" campaign. Did you know that a third of the food bought in the UK ends up being thrown away? I didn't but I am sure it is similar here in the US. There are lots of handy tips for reducing the amount of food wasted by cooking less, keeping it fresher for longer, and my absolute favorite, recipes from top chefs for using up leftovers. There is this super page where you can click on a specific food item that you may have left, and several recipes will appear in which it can be used. I am very excited about this because I am always looking for good ways to use up leftovers.

Anyway, check it out if you get a chance. You might learn something new.

6 comments:

Lee17 said...

Oh neat! Recipes for all my leftovers. I especially like the lemon/lime curd one. I have some limes in the fridge I need to use up - I am so trying that recipe.

Mo said...

Glad you found it useful! :)

Ands said...

Hey, thanks for the mention! Being the domestic goddess that I am I made some banana bread yesterday and it was gorgeous! No more throwing out old brown bananas for me!

Mo said...

Ands, I was going to post a picture of you as well, but wasn't sure you would appreciate that?! :)

Esther Montgomery said...

Being in the U.K. - the amount of food wasted is mesmerising.

Our council supplies big brown wheelie bins for food waste which are emptied once a week.

If we gave up eating altogether - and put all our groceries straight into the bin - we still wouldn't fill it.

I keep wondering what they expect us to use it for!

Esther

leaner said...

Yes, the bread is just the white bread recipe with 1/2 whole wheat flour. Leave about 1/4 cup of the flour out and add that much oatmeal (I used quick cooking), millet and flax seed. I also used applesauce and honey instead of the sugar. cut back on the water about 1/4 cup and add that much honey and applesauce. (Not sweetened applesauce.)
I threw all the ingredients into the bread machine on the dough cycle.