Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saving Energy

We have been forced to conserve energy this weekend because our AC is out! Not the best news on a hot June weekend in Phoenix, but really not the end of the world either.

We have completely shuttered every window and door possible, and much to my surprise it is still only 85 degrees inside our house now at about 2.15 pm. It will get a lot hotter later, and of course the house get warmest towards the end of the day, but it just goes to show how much energy it is possible to save on AC when one really tries, (or is forced!)

I am interested to see just how hot it will get. Our AC man can't get here until Monday due to high demand, so viewing this as a fun green endeavour will make the weekend pass a lot quicker I am sure. (We'll see how long that lasts!)

06.30.08 Update- So it got pretty miserable, and HOT, especially during the night! Good news was though that the AC guy was able to get here yesterday and sort it out. So, we are back to our lovely, cool, and extremely un- energy efficient home. Not an experiment I wish to repeat!

5 comments:

Aiyana said...

Good luck! I would go to a hotel if my air conditioners ever failed. I tried to leave them off as long as possible this year, just to see how hot it would get. The first week of June it got up to 86 degrees and that was just too hot for me, so both of them have been running ever since. Good to see another AZ gardener!
Aiyana

Amy said...

Glad you are finding something positive in that nightmare of living without an AC in triple digit heat. How are the girls and R tolerating the warmth?

We bought a portable evap cooler one summer when our AC went out. After that, Jeff used it in the garage. He was very disppointed when he had to leave it in AZ (too humid here...won't work). Wish I could get it to you. : (

It wouldn't be economical to buy one since your AC guy comes tomorrow...

but if worse comes to worse...

Mo said...

Thank you both! We are all fixed now, not nearly as traumatic, (or expensive), as I had feared. Not another green experiment I would like to try, but interesting nonetheless!

leaner said...

How miserable!

Makes me feel badly for complaining about my a/c woes. It worked all the time, never got that bad.

But it is nice that you saw the silver lining of it.

Mo said...

Don't feel bad Leaner! I was NOT a happy person when it started not working, and was probably not too nice to be around either. I saw the funny side eventually. We were lucky that it was all sorted so soon as well without being completely messed around by an AC company! Now that would have really had me miserable and complaining!!!