Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Tastes, (And Smells), Of Summer


I made this sandwich yesterday for lunch, and just as I was about to eat it I realized that I had either made, or grown most of the ingredients! I baked the bread, and grew the tomato and basil. The ingredients I was not involved in producing were the mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and salt and pepper, but it tased delicious, and was quite the summery snack.


The sights and smells of summer fruits always take me back to the English summers of my childhood, especially the smell of fresh raspberries, and strawberries. I grew up in rural England, and we had loads of raspberry bushes growing in our back garden. We would pick them straight off the bushes. We also used to go strawberry picking at farms nearby, and gorge ourselves on the juicy fruit. Sadly I had no part in growing these fruit, but don't they look beautiful? The girls thought they tasted pretty good as well.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Mmmmmm....looks delicious. I love caprese sandwiches! And the fruit looks splendid. Summer is the BEST!