Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saturday

Yesterday morning we went to collect our organic bounty from the veggie co-op we sign up for. I was again very happy with the quantity and selection, and am so glad I discovered this great co-op.


Then we went downtown to The Farmers Market to attend the chicken class run by Phoenix Permaculture Guild. We didn't make it all the way to the end though because the girls were getting rather restless, but I learned a ton of stuff about keeping urban chickens. Unfortunately we don't have enough room per city code to keep them without written permission from our neighbours, so our chicken keeping exploits will most likely need to wait until we move in a year or so.

Next my good friend C joined us with her lovely girls and we pottered around the market. It wasn't too hot because it was quite shady, and they had enormous fans which the girls enjoyed standing in front of.


I bought a beautiful pair of silver earings as a gift for a friend back home. I was glad to be able to buy local. There are loads of places for buying lovely local gifts at the market. I also discovered a stall selling "Tepary Beans" which are a native bean from right here in Arizona. The guy said they are like pinto beans, and that they have been grown for many years. I definitely want to try some next time we go back.


Then we wandered around for a while enjoying the sights.






Yesterday afternoon I planted two types of corn, two types of zucchini, snap beans, and cucumbers in my newly prapared beds. I added a load of compost from my compost bin so it should provide a good and fertile area. I feel strangely pessimistic about it all growing though, maybe because I haven't ever grown anything from seed at this time of year. We shall have to wait and see what sprouts!

3 comments:

bodaat said...

If it makes you feel any better, I would feel the same exact way if I planted any seeds in the ground this time of year too. :)

leaner said...

You do your own compost? I was looking into that, but feeling a little bit overwhelmed by it.

My dad grows lovely gardens all year round, and mostly from seed, too. He has a green thumb and always has loved plants. Me? Not so much. I think it is more of a hobby.

Have you thought of growing the three sisters? Corn, squash and beans (the beans grown up the corn stalks, while the squash covers the ground keeping it moist.) I know it is well known, and used often by the native peoples around here.

Mo said...

I know that there is a major science behind composting, but not with me! I have a box which I put all our compostable kitchen waste into and anything else there is around, water it every now and again and wait. You are really meant to turn it to aerate it but I don't and it seems to come out OK. Don't be intimidated by it, it really isn't complicated, and you can buy composters now for not a whole lot depending on what you want.

Yes, I have heard of the "three sisters" way of planting and want to try it too one of these days.