Friday, October 31, 2008

HUGE Caterpillar

This is the caterpillar that is at this very moment systematically eating it's way through a large portion of one of my Orange Bell bushes out in the back yard.


When I saw it I did a double take, not because it is so green, and not because it is so pretty, but because it is so HUGE! The next picture will give you an idea of just how huge.


See what I mean?

I know nothing about caterpillars and I have no problem with it eating to it's hearts content as long as it stays well away from my veggie patch. It is so beautiful and appears to be a solitary fellow from what I can tell. How amazing to watch it neatly chewing it's way through the leaves.

I can only wonder about what enthralling moth or butterfly it will become when it has eaten enough, rested for a while, and is good and ready. Any caterpillar experts out there that can help me with identification?

9 comments:

Shibaguyz said...

We vote that it is a space alien! Let it hatch then report it to NASA!! LOL No??? Not a good guess??

Liisa said...

Wow - he's HUGE!! I wish I could help with an id. I'm curious as to what type of moth/butterfly he will become.

Mo said...

HaHa Shibaguyz! Well it was halloween!

Me too Liisa! We don't get caterpillars like this back in England :)

Amy said...

So, what would you have done if he had been found munching up your veggie patch?

Mo said...

I was wondering the same thing Amy! I definitely wouldn't have been able to hurt him in any way. Honestly I probably would have left him and mourned the loss of all my hard work. I am glad he can eat away happily where he is. It is a big bush and will recover just fine.

bodaat said...

Holy crap! That thing is huge! I almost want to come over to see it. Wow, I would love to have a huge caterpillar in my garden. Do you have any milkweed? How are the girls reacting to the caterpillar?

Mo said...

Well, the girls love them, (yes there are actually three the last time I counted, and all as big!) They are nocturnal and I think I have found what they are but plan to post on that later. They are like our backyard pets right now and we are enjoying watching them alot. Ah, the wonders of nature! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mo! I think I might have found your gorgeous caterpillar. I believe he is Manduca rustica. There is a wonderful video on youtube from the university of Arizona,"Bug of the month: Manduca rustica, The Rustic Sphinx Moth".
LOL Crystal

Mo said...

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you VERY much this is definitely my new friends! How AMAZING! x