Monday, November 17, 2008

Compacting faux pas in the biggest way imagineable


I have been longing for a digital SLR camera for as long as I can remember. I love to take pictures and I know that I could learn to take good ones with a really excellent camera.

I have been looking at the camera I want for a long time, it is the Nikon D80, and I often go down to our local Ritz Camera store to look at it and to dream. It is a very expensive camera, and I would never take a purchase like this lightly, but from all the research I have done I think it will give me many years of good picture taking.

I have been saving money for a while now, and have quite a lot put away from birthdays etc. So, imagine my surprise as I perused the Ritz camera website last night only to see my dream camera with the lens I want reduced by $130, with free shipping and tax. It didn't take me long to make the purchase and I will soon be the proud owner of a this


I know this is a total breach of my compacting pledge in the biggest way possible. It is however also a once in a lifetime purchase that will I feel sure bring years of picture taking pleasure. I am still slightly in shock that I finally bought it so quickly after months of consideration, and it will take a few days for me to get used to the idea.

Now I just need to learn how to use it which may take me a while because I have only ever used to simplest of cameras. I am very excited!

4 comments:

leaner said...

That is an oops you can live with! Totally worth the breech of pledge.

Me? Well I want to compact, but I am having a hard time with it. Sigh. I try but then I have two trips planned in the near future AND Christmas! Ack.

Amy said...

I don't think using your birthday money to buy yourself a special gift is a breach of your compact contract. At least it shouldn't be.

Can't wait to see all the great photos you take with your new super-deluxe camrea!

Mo said...

Hi Leaner,

Thanks for that and I too have a hard time compacting at times. I find it far easier not to buy much of anything these days rather than spend time searching stuff out.

Amy,

Thanks but it might be a while before we see any of those pictures! I have a feeling this one will have lots of bells and whistles for me to try to negotiate! :)

bodaat said...

Ohhh, I am SO jealous! I've been eyeing the Nikon too. Circuit City was having a 'going out of sale' sale and I got to play around with one then. I also recently saw a Nikon at Costco and my fingers were itching but they are so expensive! I am sure that you will have ooodles of fun with that Nikon and I will now get to live vicariously through you until I can spring for my very own hunka-lovin'-Nikon. Congrats on the buy!