Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The politics of being green

Environmentalists have been fighting an uphill battle for many years to get the people in power, the people who can really make a difference, to listen to their concerns about global warming and the damage that we are doing to our planet. I know that these are complex issues, I know that there are no easy solutions, but I also know that we have to do something, right now.

Scientists have been speaking of tipping points for a year or so now, points at which there will be no return from the damage that greenhouse gases are doing to our planet. We really don't have time to waste.

Today when I read this statement from President Elect Barack Obama, to the Bi-Partisan Governors Global Climate Summit in Los Angeles, for the first time in ages I actually felt really hopeful that someone soon to be in power really does get this stuff, and is actually planning to do something about it.

"I promise you this: When I am president, any governor who's willing to promote clean energy will have a partner in the White House. Any company that's willing to invest in clean energy will have an ally in Washington. And any nation that's willing to join the cause of combating climate change will have an ally in the United States of America."

That statement right there makes me feel happy, and hopeful, and excited for the future! Does that mean I am political, or does it really just mean that I am someone who cares about the future of our earth?

2 comments:

bodaat said...

How about both?

Mo said...

Perhaps, but typically environmental issues have been so divisive politically. I don't think that anything can really be achieved as long as it stays that way. There has to be cooperation by all sides to reach out beyond the politics and address the underlying issues.