Saturday, November 1, 2008

It is great to have friends!

We have spent a wonderful warm afternoon out in the backyard with our new green, squiggly friends. "Friends" I hear you asking? "thought you had one new friend?" Well, actually no, it seems that my gorgeous caterpillar is not alone in his quest to devour my Orange Bell bush, he has two friends who are intent on doing the same! Can you spot them? They are extremely well camouflaged which is good because I have been worrying about the birds getting them all day.


They are nocturnal, we know this because we went out last night with a flashlight to check on them and they were seriously munching away, and today have been completely still.

I have been searching online today trying to identify them without any specific success. I thought they were a Sphinx Moth of some kind but there are so many that I was getting confused. And then my dear, hardcore, outdoorsy friend, you know, the one I hiked Mt Humphreys with just sent me this...................



Amazing no? These are is totally what our caterpillars are. They seem to prefer Orange Bells over my Desert Willow which is just great because my Desert Willow Tree is not big and lush like the Orange Bells. Seriously check out the video, it is fascinating.

Well as I said, it is great to have friends don't you think?

5 comments:

tina said...

Yes, it is truly great to have friends-even the nocturnal munching kind:)

Mo said...

Thank you for popping over to Green Desert to visit me Tina! Love your blog, the photos are beautiful! :)

bodaat said...

I am soooo jealous that you have discovered two more! I watched the video - amazing stuff. I can't believe how big those moths are. You are so lucky!

Titania said...

They are "great" caterpillars. The video was very interesting. I am always happy to discover some of the big ones in my garden so of a different specie.

tina said...

Thank you! I found you through Blotanical. Been a member for a few months now but just learning its real uses-finding different perspectives on the garden and meeting new folks. I like visiting other blogs and always comment, hence the visit. I just love those caterpillars. Only really could see two though. I will return.