Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

I absolutely love Thanksgiving, and although I am an immigrant to this country, I feel as though I have adopted it now as one of my most favorite holidays. For me Thanksgiving signifies a lot of what is special about this country, spending time with friends and family, enjoying good food and drink, and reflecting on what we are thankful for. Great stuff.

This year was better than ever with the lovely rainy weather we had, very seasonal indeed. (I never imagined ten years ago as I struggled through another dark and dismal English November that one day I would be uttering those words!) I haven't even got my rainwater collection barrel set up properly yet, but I did put it outside anyway, and collected a little rainwater. Not enough to water very much, but a start.


Kendra did a Thanksgiving show at school on Wednesday which was very sweet and brought tears to many a parents eye.


After we got home I prepped all the food for our feast, and made the pumpkin pie, another adopted tradition I love.


On Thanksgiving day I worked for a few hours, and then we ate in the evening and had a relaxing dinner with lovely friends.


On Friday we completely avoided Black Friday as usual, and simply lounged around watching movies and eating leftovers. It was very nice. For the past day or so though I have been feeling decidedly inadequate as I have read about many of the wonderful and crafty ideas other bloggers have for making Christmas gifts. This would be great for my compacting rules, and attempted green lifestyle, but apart from making some simple earings for a secret Santa gift exchange I will be part of, I simply don't seem to have the time or the energy at the moment.

I have been reading a nice little book called "Green Christmas" by Jennifer Basye Sander, and Peter Sander. It is a quick and easy read and has many ideas for greening up the season including reducing overall consumption, shopping locally, and refocusing the holiday towards community and family. One fact that really stood out in my mind is this:

"Every year between Thanksgiving and New Year's day, Americans generate 25 million extra tons of garbage, (about 25 percent more than during the rest of the year).

Now that in itself is a sobering thought for me, and one that makes me want to start wrapping all our gifts in newspaper. Well perhaps not newspaper, but something a lot less wasteful than wrapping paper. I was glad to read that a live Christmas tree is still more sustainable than an imitation one, as long as it is grown in the USA, and mulched afterwards. I am rather partial to a real tree I have to admit so I am glad we can still get one with a fairly clear conscience. All in all this is a great little book and one that would make a great, and green gift I think.

3 comments:

Lucy Corrander said...

Thanks for becoming a follower of PICTURES JUST PICTURES. It's good to know you like it enough to put your icon there.

(It also provides me with a quick root through to your blog - how's that for laziness!)

Lucy

Esther Montgomery said...

We've wrapped birthday presents in newspaper for years. It's surprising how interesting you can make them look.

(Though watch out for the headlines!)

Christmas - paper from presents received one year is folded away and re-used the next. Some pieces have been on the go for years - old favourites!

For several years, we used brown paper and stamped Christmas designs on them. This was fun. . . . then grew unsure this was the right thing to do.

Some local authorities don't recycle brown paper. And they can't recycle paper or cards with gold or glitter on.

So . . . we've been drifting into newspaper for Christmas wrappings too.

Esther

P.S. Thank you for becoming an ESTHER IN THE GARDEN follower. E.

Mo said...

You are welcome Esther and Lucy! I love both blogs. :)

Esther, you are truly the original Mrs Green! We have gift bags that we have reused for some time, but the paper always seems to get ripped with two little ones. I am looking forward to trying some new green wrapping ideas this year.