Sunday, December 7, 2008

Another Garden Update

I realize that this is my fourth post this weekend! I seem to have a lot to say so far this month, in contrast to last month when I was not very inspired. So, at risk of boring my loyal readers, here is a garden update.

I have pulled all the zucchini and cucumber plants after getting many pounds of both. I am afraid they were terriby infested with aphids because I wasn't spraying them as often as I should have with the soapy water mixture.


I am sorry to see them go, but I am also grateful for such a bountiful harvest. Now I have more space again, although I haven't really thought about what I will plant next.


The Nasturtiums are coming along nicely. I can't wait for them to flower.


The Kale, Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Broccoli are all doing well.


I have a very small head of broccoli forming on one plant.


The snow pea plants are also growing, although they have had some aphid activity recently so I have been watching them closely, and spraying my organic soapy pest control regularly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them!


This bed is rather crowded with a variety of Lettuce, Leeks, more Cabbage, Spinach, Cilantro, and Dill. I see some plant thinning in my future.


And here is the last of the Rapini which has been delicious, the first of the Kale, and some Parsley that I harvested on Friday.


Now I am off to find something fun to do with the girls. I hope you are all having a fun weekend too.

10 comments:

Amy said...

You never risk boring me, Mo. I love your blog and everything you write in it. : )

The garden looks great. All that hard work has evidently paid off.

Yummy!

Mo said...

Oh Amy, you always say the nicest things! x

leaner said...

I am so jealous of your garden! Mine is crap. I do have some tomatoes (one plant I didn't yank at the end of summer is producing again.) And like 3 watermelons, also I didn't plant those.
I need to totally redo my garden, I want a raised garden, which might be easier on my dog and my girls, and my shovel.

leaner said...

Oh, and I agree with Amy- you never bore us.

Mo said...

Haha, thanks Leaner, I am sure my husband would not agree with that though :)

As for your garden, you need to be a little gentle with yourself I think! You are rather busy at the moment, and keeping a perfect garden is probably not another thing you need to be worrying about. For what it is worth though, I think raised beds are definitely the way to go here in the desert. If I didn't have the fence round mine the dogs would be all over it and it would be impossible. Now that it is all dug out I intend never to dig it again, I will just keep adding compost on top. That way my back might have a chance to recover! :)

bodaat said...

Your garden looks fabulous! I can't believe how leafy everything looks. I think that will be my project next year.

leaner said...

Tell me about compost... do you compost your own? if so, how do you do it? I have been seriously considering this for a while. I want to make my own compost, but have no idea where to begin!

Mo said...

It is very easy I promise! We just collect all our garden scraps in a container on the kitchen counter. Then we take them outside and put them in the compost bin. You can make these, buy one, (they can be pricey), or even get one free or for next to nothing from certain cities in the Phoenix area. (Can't remember where but will look it up and let you know). I used to just have a compost heap but it was difficult to keep moist, and it wasn't protected from critters. You need to water the compost to keep it evenly moist, but not wet, so that it composts but does not rot. Some composters turn over, or you can mix it but I don't and it breaks down just fine, though takes a bit longer than if it is mixed. Mine usually takes about 6 mos to compost completely and then I add it everywhere. It really is not difficult once you get started but can seem a bit daunting before. Any good gardening book will have more information and there is a ton of info' online as well. Happy composting! :)

Mo said...

I wanted to add that you can add all your garden plant waste as well of course, and I often dump in a shovel or two of earth because all the microbes in it helps move things a long! :)

Mid-life Midwife, CPM said...

So nice to see! I'll have to post pics of my garden at this time of year--ha! Frozen leaves and brittle bok choy...did you see the lovely pic of my kids sledding on the compost heap? oh my...