Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rainwater Harvesting

I got a long awaited chance to try out my rainwater barrel last week during the lovely, welcome Thanksgiving rain that we got.


My barrel is not completely finished as you can see. I need to secure the mosquito netting on top with a rope or bunjee cord. It also makes me a bit nervous having water barrels and small children, so I am thinking that semi-permanent wooden lids of some kind might be a good idea for when the weather is dry. I also need to go outside during a rain storm to see where all the best spots will be for run off from the roof. However, the temporary spot I chose last week wasn't bad, and I still got about 40 gallons of rainwater over the course of a day or so.


I can only imagine how much I will be able to collect with enough barrels in all the right places.

3 comments:

Amy said...

So, what have you done with all that lovely harvested rainwater?

Mo said...

Nothing yet. Not much has needed watering since all the rain we had. I will probably use it the next few weeks though on a couple of trees that are close to the barrel!

Cascata rain barrels said...

It's amazing how much water you can collect during a heavy rain storm. We've had customers that purchase 2 or 3 units at a time just to be able to cope with the rain water overflow from their first barrel!