Saturday, January 17, 2009

Confused Caterpillar

Remember this post back from November? It describes our encounters with some extremely large caterpillars, five or so inches in length, that were feasting on my Orange Bell plants. They were the caterpillar for a type of Sphynx moth called "Nandina Rustica", and are common here after the monsoons. They apparently bury themselves underground over the winter, during which time they metamorphose into "Rustic Sphynx Moths". All of them it seems, except this one...............


I went outside yesterday afternoon and found this chap enjoying my Orange Bell plants. He seemed to be a solitary fellow, and after his brief appearance has disappeared. Is he confused? Does he not know that he is meant to be safely buried underground awaiting his transformation at this time of year? I wonder whether the warm weather has hatched a new batch, of which he is one?

Anyway, whatever the reason, it was nice to see one again, they really are amazing, and the girls and I enjoyed admiring him for several hours.

8 comments:

Torsdag said...

Good to find one more blog with desert interests.
I will be backt to find more desert informations.
Hallo from Germany
Hartmut

spookydragonfly said...

Can't say that I've ever seen a caterpillar that looks like this! Quite interesting...I'd love to have your weather right now! Great shot!

GardenJoy4Me said...

I have never seen this one before !
What an unusual structure he/she ? has .. now that would stump me if I ever did see this in my garden : )

Mo said...

Oh Spookydragonfly, I am still wishing it felt a little more like winter here! I am never satisfied! :)

Mo said...

Hi GardenJoy4Me, thanks for visiting! You can learn more about our huge visitor here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15PgWtk0wCc
Mo.

bodaat said...

That caterpillar is just so gorgeous! Glad that you had another one in your garden.

Mo said...

Me too Bo, I hope they are becoming a regular fixture. Makes me feel like I live within nature when I really just live within the "burbs". :)

Mo said...

Thanks Hartmut, amazing photos on your blog!