Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Newish sofa, and the kindness of neighbours

You may remember that I have been going through somewhat of a dilemma regarding our sofas. They are old and beaten up to the point that all the stuffing has been coming out of the cushions and driving me crazy. I toyed with getting them re-upholstered, but that would have been rather pricey, and I am really not a fan of slip covers. I also thought about buying some lovely indian bedspreads to drape over them, but what with our dogs and the girls, I don't think that they would have been very practical. I started vaguely looking for used sofas in keeping with my compacting rules, but I haven't been very inspired. It all seemed rather exhausting until Robert's Dad decided to off load his old sofa and arm chairs. Guess who are to be the lucky recipients of these? They are really nice as well, leather, and in great shape considering that we will be the third owners! I just love that, and the fact that we have a new room makeover for nothing. Now I am wondering what to do with our old ones. I would love to donate them, but they really are in terrible shape, and I am not sure that even a charity would want them. I hate to think of them in a land fill though. Any ideas?


We are also now the very proud owners of this piano! Our kind neighbours are getting a new one, and were planning to sell it. Instead they decided to give it to us. The girls love going over to their house to play it, and are so excited to have it here now. We never imagined we would ever have a piano of our own. How very kind people are. Now we just need to learn how to play it!

5 comments:

Amy said...

What a lovely piano! It looks almost identical to the one we have. But in better condition -- ours has a history of water damage.

Like yours, ours was a hand-me-down and sounds great. Or at least good enough for our inexperienced hands tinkering on the keys.

Time for piano lessons, eh?

leaner said...

I am so jealous of your piano! It is the thing I want to get for my anniversary this year. I have been looking on Craig's List for a nicer old one.

bodaat said...

Pics of the sofas please! Can't wait to see the new room. Love the piano. :) I wish I had one too although I know that I would plonk away on it for about a month or so and then let it collect dust. I'm sure your girls will make good use of it!

spookydragonfly said...

You're so lucky to receive your piano! I've always wanted to learn to play the piano. I know this won't help your dilemma with your old couches...but here in the woods(we're 1000 ft. back, completely surrounded,no complaining neighbors), my husband chops down the old stuff and burns it in our firepit! Is that legal, hmmm?!

Mo said...

Thanks everyone, and yes, there has been a lot of "plonking" going on in our house of late :)

Spookydragonfly, hmm yes, I am not sure burning the sofas would go down too well where we live. These darn suburbs! :)