Sunday, January 18, 2009

One of those nice, relaxing, stay at home kind of days

Today was one of those really nice days of just being home and getting stuff done. First I relaxed with a large pot of coffee and planned our meals for the week, and decided what seeds to plant next.


Then the dogs and I all went outside to clean up our backyard which was rather a mess. I haven't been out there as much as I should recently, and it is amazing how much stuff had accumulated out there.



The grass looks awful since it stopped getting water, although I feel much better about that of course. We are definitely going to take it all out in the spring and xeriscape the whole area. I can't wait!

Tex is completely back to normal and is up to his old tricks of digging through the woodpile and the rocks, and running around chasing all the other dogs. Love it!




The girls came out and helped me to plant some beets, tomatoes, cilantro, dill, and lettuces.




After that they played for a while. Emmie is going through that stage of changing her outfit seven times a day and obviously felt that her swimming suit was suitable attire for the lovely weather we are having!



Then I planted out a succulent that I inherited from a friend. It has been potted until now, and I am interested to see how it will do.



I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Cardinals and their great performance in the game today. I don't claim to be a die hard Cardinals fan, unlike Robert who has supported them through good times, and many not so good over the years. He is ecstatic at the prospect of them going to the Superbowl, and I have to admit to feeling secretly proud myself.

9 comments:

bodaat said...

Loved all the pics of the girls and the doggies and that E. was prancing around in her bathing suit! She definitely had the right idea with the gorgeous weather we had yesterday. I actually watched the Cardinals game yesterday - first game I've watched in years and I'm glad I did. They kicked ass! And yes I too have not been paying enough attention to the garden. That is on my to-do list for today.

Amy said...

You call that backyard a mess? You should see ours!!! No, wait....never mind, I don't want you to see ours. It's too embarrassing.

The girls look so cute frolicking about. And it's good to see Tex back to his old sha-nan-agains. (Is that how you spell it?

Amy said...

Oh, and let me know how you like that Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Groumet Cookbook. Looks interesting!

Mo said...

Amy, I love that cook book and have had it for a while. It is often the only way I get to make meat free meals for myself during the week because they need to be quick and easy when I am also making meaty meals for the girls and Robert. I highly recommend it! :)

Amy said...

Sounds like I need to find myself a copy of that book! I'm going to see if I can find it at the library today! : )

Nutty Gnome said...

Hi Mo,
I've only just found your blog, via a link on someone elses, but I really like it - and I love your green ideas too. We are trying to be more eco. We have solar panels for hot water (not much use for doing the heating in cloudy, wet, chilly Derbyshire!)and we had a year long trial with an anomometer tower to see if we could have a windmill - but the wind wasn't consistent enough.
We have an organic fruit and veg garden which is fairly productive, although I haven't really sussed successional or winter planting as yet.
I'm making a Japanese garden at the moment (2+ years!)and have re-used just about everything that I dug up so that we buy as little as possible - 9 tonnes of rocks aside that is!
Your vegetarian cookbook sounds interesting - I'll keep an eye out for it.

spookydragonfly said...

Looking at all these pix...reminds me of summer! (sigh!) Looks like all had a good day, your girls are so cute!

Mo said...

Hi Nutty Gnome,
Thank you for stopping by! I will definitely be visiting you as well. I love Derbyshire and have many happy memories of trudging through peat bog on Kinder Scout with my Dad as a young person. We had some wonderful times up there in Edale and the surrounding area! Your blog looks great, and lucky you having solar heated hot water. That is my dream and we have the perfect weather for it of course here in Phoenix! :)
Mo.

Mo said...

Dear Spookygradonfly, summer will be here before you know it and we will be holed up inside to get away from the sweltering heat, while you revel in your sunny days! :)