Thursday, February 19, 2009

Let's recycle number 5's!


Since I really got into this sustainable living thing I have been trying to stop buying stuff in plastic containers as much as possible. For example I now buy bar soap again instead of those shower gels that come in plastic bottles.

If I do find I have to buy something in plastic which does of course happen, I check each container before I buy it to see whether it has the magic number 1 or 2 in the little triangle on the bottom. If it has a different number I will try to buy an alternative that does.

However, some things I buy regularly do come in containers with other numbers on the bottom, numbers that mean I can't recycle them in my city where only 1,s and 2,s are accepted. The most common other non recyclable number I find is the number 5, and it is frequently found on the bottom of yogurt pots, cheese containers, and other food stuffs that I buy.

I was saving all of my number 5's up for a while to make "art projects", but really, what kind of a dumb idea was that? If you know me at all you know that I am just not the sort of Mummy that makes art projects out of non recyclable plastic food cartons however much I may delude myself into thinking I will.

An organization called Preserve who manufacture 100% recycled products offer a super duper recycling program called Gimme 5. All of their products are made from number 5 plastics, and recycled Brita water filters. Brilliant yes?

It is actually possible to mail your very own, non recyclable number 5 plastics to them and they will use them to make toothbrushes, razors, food storage, and many other useful everyday household products. After you have bought one of their products, and have finished using it, you can mail it back to them in a prepaid envelope. It will then be recycled, made into more products, and used again, and again, and again. You get the idea.

If mailing your number 5's sounds too much like hard work, there is now an easier way to offload them without throwing them away. Preserve have teamed up with WholeFoods Market to provide drop off points at which number 5 plastics can be er..... dropped off for recycling by Preserve. Brilliant!

There is only one teeny, tiny little problem right now, and that is unless you live in one of the towns or cities where this is happening you wont be able to participate. The good news is that you can beg and plead for your own WholeFoods Market to start offering this great service by going here.

Go on, start begging and pleading, especially if you live in Phoenix, and hopefully I wont be discarding quite as many number 5's soon, and neither will you, and I will be a much happier person, and so will you.

Thank you. :)

2 comments:

Mid-life Midwife, CPM said...

This is great! So helpful! And Ann Arbor is on the list. Finally, somewhere to take my evil stack of #5s!

Mo said...

I am glad MLMW! :)