Monday, February 23, 2009

Love the natives


I love Desert Globemallow, and also Brittlebush, both of which are native plants to the Sonoran Desert. It always amazes me that even after extended periods of drought, they spring up, thrive, and bloom in what often seem to be the most inhospitable places.

I have lots of Globemallow and Brittlebush growing in my yard this spring, and I have been doing all I can to nurture it, although it hardly needs it.

I recently found a 5 gallon Globemallow plant at a local nursery for $20 and felt like standing next to it with a sign saying "you can have this for free if you neglect your garden enough!"


I have a huge Globemallow plant inside the entrance of my vegetable garden which I have posted about before. It is taking up space that could be used for veggies, but I don't care, I love it. I also have some Brittlebush there now as well, and it is all getting very overgrown, but I really don't mind one little bit.


I am still amazed every time I see these plants and flowers thriving as they do, and I am very glad because it makes growing beautiful, sustainable plants here in the desert a great deal easier!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh how I wish my yard could look like yours!

Mo said...

Oh Amy, I only show pics of the bits I like. You should see our dead grass at the moment it looks awful though hopefully in a few months it will be real "xeriscape".