Thursday, February 26, 2009

Vegetable Lasagna

I have been making this for years, and adapt it according to whatever veggies I have from the garden, or need to use up.

It is very economical and easy to make. You can use spinach for the cheese filling, or like I did here, swiss chard. We have a lot of swiss chard right now because thankfully bunnies don't seem to like it.

The quantities I specify are a little vague because I never make it exactly the same way twice, so get creative and go and see what you can find to throw in to make it your very own.

First fry a couple of chopped onions in a tablespoon or so of extra virgin olive oil.


Then add one chopped red, and one chopped green pepper, and fry it all together until it is a little soft. (You can add one or the other, or neither if you prefer).


Then add a couple of 14 oz cans of tomatoes with their juice, a large handful of chopped fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and a generous tablespoon of brown sugar.

Again I added parsley here because that is what I had from the garden, but you can add your herb of choice. Dried are fine though you would need to use less. I also added a few chopped carrots at this point because that is what I had, but you can truly add any other vegetables you like.

Add a little water, and let it all simmer for about 1/2 hr or so.


Then grab a couple of very large handfuls of swiss chard, or spinach. You will need extra spinach if you use it because it cooks down more than swiss chard. Please don't ask me how much more though because I don't know exactly.


Cut off the stalks. If you use young swiss chard like this is, you can save them for stir frying or adding to salads.


Then chop up the leaves fairly finely.


Open two packages of low fat cream cheese and dump them in a big bowl. I always buy cream cheese when it is on sale because it often has a very long expiration date, and that way I always have some on hand.


Add swiss chard, or spinach to cream cheese in bowl,


And mix together. I find it is easier to use clean hands.

It will eventually look like this.


By this time your tomato sauce should be ready.

Place a layer of sauce into the bottom of a lightly oiled 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Place a few sheets of pre cooked lasagna on top. I find it usually takes about 3 1/2 sheets of lasagna for each layer.


Then add a layer of the swiss chard and cheese mixture.


Continue layering until dish is almost full, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce. Sprinkle generously with parmesan, or any other cheese you have lying around.

It should look something like this.


Place on a baking tray in a pre heated oven at about 370 degrees for 45 mins or so, until all the layers are bubbling and delicious looking like this!


Serve with a nice green salad, fresh bread, and a glass or two of red wine. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Amy said...

My mouth is watering just looking at those pictures. I'm going to try and make this someday soon. I've never used cream cheese in lasagna but it sounds divine!

Amber~ Care and Feeding of Wild Things said...

I have never used cream cheese in lasagne either, but anything that makes lasagne ooey gooey cheese-alicious is fine by me! That looks so good!

Shady Gardener said...

Looks wonderful!! :-) I love to experiment with lasagna, too. I'll need to print this off! Thank you for sharing.

leaner said...

yum! I will have to try that. Not that my kids like lasagna. In fact- its one of the food they will not eat. But I love it!

Mo said...

Amy, it is very easy and a great stand by for guests I find!

Hi Amber, thank you so much for adding me to your "following" list. I am honored. I look forward to making some of your yummy recipes too.

Hi Shady Gardener, thank you so much for stopping by. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Leaner, my girls will actually eat this and they aren't big on lasagna usually either.

bodaat said...

Oh swiss chard!! The lasagne looks very deeee-lish. I made A Giada recipe last night with swiss chard and it came out pretty good:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/whole-wheat-spaghetti-with-swiss-chard-and-pecorino-cheese-recipe/index.html

You'll have to play with the amount of onions and tomato sauce (Giada has too many onions and not enough sauce for my liking). Love ya Mo!!!

sugarcreekstuff said...

That looks delish! Sadly I will have to wait a month or two or five before I get fresh veggies from my garden. :-(