Thursday, March 5, 2009

A (not very), scientific experiment.


This is our shower door!

I am not at all proud of its filthy, and dingy state, but because I have banished all cleaning products from our home that have the slightest possibility of being toxic, I have to confess that it generally stays this way.

In a recent attempt to expand my repertoire of natural cleaning products beyond just baking soda, and white vinegar, I have been reading Green Up Your Cleanup, by Jill Potvin Schoff. It offers a multitude of green cleaning solutions for any number of filthy situations, including dingy shower doors just like mine.

As per the instructions in the book for "Baking Soda Scrub", I mixed castille soap with baking soda until it became a pasty consistency. You can use the non petroleum based dish soap instead if you don't have any castille soap.

This is what it looked like after mixing.


I then spread it over the test area of the shower door like this,


The instructions said to leave it on for longer that 15 minutes for "Heavy duty jobs" which this most certainly was.

Well over half an hour later, after Emily had thrown the biggest tantrum of her life and I had forgotten all about it, I returned, sprayed off the paste with white vinegar, and rinsed with water per the instructions.

This is the final result.


I am seriously impressed! It is obviously not perfectly clean, but it's pretty darn clean, cleaner than it's been since well before the chemical ban at least.

Now I just need to go and clean the rest of it.

6 comments:

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Wow! That's awesome! I'm impressed. I'm all for a more natural approach. I applaud you for sticking to your guns.

Amber~ Care and Feeding of Wild Things said...

Nice! You got these results without using "elbow grease!" That is a good cleanser!

Mo said...

Thanks Gail!

Amber, well a little elbow grease was used to wipe all of the paste away, but not a lot.

leaner said...

Awesome. Do you squeegee it after a shower? it helps keep the water from building up. I have NEVER cleaned my shower doors and they are pretty clean with just the squeegee after the shower.

Mo said...

No Leaner, I have not been a squeegee-er although we do have one. The lady that wrote the book I mention says the same thing as you. Now I am definitely a squeegee convert!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas about green cleaning!

We are trying to spread good ideas like these to Disney. After 3 years, child health advocates are still asking Disney World to eliminate hazardous cleaning chemicals and implement a complete green cleaning policy. On March 10 in Oakland, CA they will be asking directly outside the Disney World shareholder meeting demanding Disney to cross the finish line and finally implement a real policy that will protect the health of their guests and employees.

You can join advocates on March 10 by sending in your photo next to CHEJ's speech bubbles. Check out the site to learn how:http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/852/t/2096/content.jsp?content_KEY=5344. You can also take a look at the photos people have already sent in on our flickr page www.flickr.com/photos/chej.

Thanks for your support!
- Ciara Trainor
ctrainor@chej.org