Friday, March 6, 2009

Please Support Your Local Library

I absolutely adore libraries and always have. We went to our local library every week as children, and I always cherished the chance to choose a new pile of books that I would devour well before the next weeks trip.

We have a lovely library here, and we try to go as often as we can, although I have to admit to not going every week. The girls love it, and so do I. All those stacks of books, and the hushed tones. It takes me right back to my childhood.



Libraries are the perfect sustainable reading option as well. What could be better, all those books read over and over again by a host of different people. I only wish that our library was a little closer so that we could walk, or cycle there too. One day perhaps.



I have heard that due to the economic down turn, libraries have seen a big increase in patronage which is great. Not so great are the recent cut backs in hours that our libraries here in Phoenix are dealing with due to our budget crisis. I am sure there are many people that will be affected, quite apart from the staff who have had to take a cut in their hours.



So, if you haven't been for a while, now would be the perfect time to pay a visit to your local library. Just so that they know how much they are valued by us all.

9 comments:

lostlandscape said...

You've got my vote! Out of full disclosure, I do work in a library. But I think the things that libraries stand for sync up so well with lots of issues that come out of gardening: sharing, community, reducing unnecessary commodities. And they're great places that feed human curiosity.

Mo said...

Thanks for stopping by Lotslandscape! I of course agree with all the points you make! :)

Lucy Corrander said...

Your library looks great.

We use our libraries but they are frustrating because they have odd opening hours and are becomingn places where people to use computers instead of to borrow books.

And there are hardly any tables.

And not many chairs (except in front of the computers).

But when they are functioning properly with lots of good BOOKS (ones one wants to read and enough of them) - brilliant.

Lucy

Patty said...

I've been a card-carrying library fan for years. I live in Phoenix as well. My little local branch is poorly stocked, but the interlibrary loan program HAD been a blessing. It hasn't been available for the last month or so. Now with the hours cut so badly, it's really become sad. I miss my big pile of books. They made me feel so rich for so little money. Sigh.

Mo said...

Hi Lucy, that doesn't sound like the libraries I remember in England as a child :( Here a lot of people do go to use the computers, but there still seem to be a fair few who actually like the books too which is good. I think we are super lucky with our library here.

Hi Patty, thank you for visiting! I know what you mean about the hours being cut back. I actually tried to request a book the other day through the interlibrary loan and haven't heard yet. I hope that we can still use that where we go. Lets hope the budget gets turned around soon so that our libraries can be back to normal!

Lucy Corrander said...

Mo - I have good memories of libraries as a child too . . . and up to about ten years ago . . .

But I came back to say I've just come across a site that might interest you.

It's called Casaubon's Book.

This is the link.

http://sharonastyk.com/

I've only just taken a glance at it so I'm not recommending it . . . just saying it looks interesting. When I've got more than a moment I'll go back and read more there.

It would be interesting to know what you make of it.

Lucy

Mo said...

Thanks Lucy,that looks REALLY interesting. There are a lot of archives so I will be reading for a while. Thank you for this. I do so appreciate you finding such things for me my friend! :)

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Mo, I'm a fan of libraries too even though our library is over 35 miles away. I live in rural America and in our little town the local postmistress put in a bookshelf. People bring their used books for anyone to take and read. You can bring it back when done, or not...and maybe pass it on. So folks go there to get books and to leave books. It's a nice free flowing exchange. There are always lots of books.

Mo said...

Gail, what a lovely thing! I would love to be a part of something like that. Maybe one day when we move up to your neck of the woods perhaps?