Monday, May 4, 2009

Coward

As I was collecting our mail from the mail box a little while ago, I met our neighbour, also collecting her mail. She is a nice lady, and so is her hubby. I mean I don't know them well because they keep themselves to themselves, but they are always friendly and pleasant. These are the neighbours that I will need to get written permission from if I am to get the chickens I so desire.

Our city ordinance states that if one has less than 10,000 sq ft of land, (which would be very a large backyard for this area), one must get written permission from any neighbour who has a structure that will be within 80 ft of an enclosed chicken coop. Because of the size and shape of our backyard, we don't have any place we can put a coop that wouldn't be within 80 ft of at least one neighbours house, and having weighed up my options, I decided that these particular neighbours would be the best ones to ask.

So, this afternoon I had the perfect opportunity don't you think? There we were, standing chatting by the mail box, passing the time of day, and I could so easily have slipped my small request into the conversation couldn't I??? Well yes, of course I could, but of course I didn't. This is me we are talking about remember, Mo, apparently the least assertive person ON. THE. PLANET!!!

Just what am I so scared of? I mean the very worst they can say is no, right? What would be so bad about that? At least I would have tried, and not now be sitting here kicking myself for being such a coward. And they might even have said yes, especially if I had offered to give them free eggs, and then I would be sitting here feeling very happy and excited.

ARRGGHHHHH! What is wrong with me, seriously?

5 comments:

fullfreezer said...

Don't beat yourself up. Look at this time as laying the friendly groundwork. Maybe try to see if you can time a few more 'mail runs' to coincide with hers and then 'pop the question', so to speak. You may get a better response if you warm her up a bit.
Good luck!
Judy

Jenn said...

Definitely offer up the egg enticement. I would love to have a neighbor I could buy fresh eggs from.

Good luck!

bodaat said...

ok, so maybe you felt like you acted cowardedly but i think you made the right move by being all neighborly and friendly before asking the big question! kinda like warming things up a bit... :) you can do it Mo!

leaner said...

I think we tie for least assertive person. Really, its one of my biggest problems. I get so nervous, worked up, stressed out and it is never a big deal. (I am sure you remember at my school's winter faire... that fear I had.) So from one really cautious person to another, YOU CAN DO IT.

Mo said...

Thanks guys! :) Just another little thing I need to keep working on.