Friday, May 8, 2009

The Heat Is On!

It has started a little early this year, the heat I mean. We have already had several days of temperatures above 100 degrees, and of course there is no change in sight for the next few months at least. Usually this would depress me, but this year I have decided to embrace the heat, and not spend the summer hibernating miserably inside. We shall see how that turns out.

Everything is growing like mad. My Mesquite trees are in bloom and look lovely.


I adore Mesquite trees and the welcome shade they provide.

My new Desert Willow tree has lovely pale pink and purple blossom as I had hoped, and is doing well in its new home.


I have the potential for a huge tomato crop if all goes well. I am a little nervous because I have never tried to grow so many, and so I am inspecting them daily for possible pests, or other afflictions. They are starting to go red, and some are enormous, so I am cautiously optimistic.


I also have masses of peppers, small at the moment but growing every day. It wont be long before it is too hot for both tomatoes and peppers to set fruit so I hope that these all make it OK.


I am still getting lots of swiss chard although I think it is finally coming to an end. Yesterday I also harvested some of the beets, and a few of the little carrots which are delicious, along with the last of the radishes, and one Ichiban eggplant, of which there are more pending.


This is what happens when carrots aren't thinned properly. It's like a carrot-ey embrace!


Here is a view of the patio including my new non- compacted Adirondack chair which I am enjoying. I have more thirsty plants in pots on the patio than elsewhere in the yard and it makes it seem quite lush at times.


We had a lovely evening last night sitting outside late with friends, and enjoying the sights, scents, and sounds of an early summers evening. It made me feel very grateful to live here, even with the summer just around the corner. Perhaps my new approach to the heat is working already?

Happy Mother's Day to you all my friends!

3 comments:

fullfreezer said...

How beautiful it all is. That willow tree is lovely- I've never heard of it before! And ripening tomatoes! I just planted mine outside today! I hope the heat moderates a little for you.
Judy

Rajesh said...

That is awfully lot of heat. The snaps of flowers and vegetation is beautiful.

Mo said...

Thank you Judy. The desert Willow trees are amazing with theri color and vibrancy.

Thank you for visiting Rajesh. I love your India blog, and will be back to visit you too. :)