Thursday, May 7, 2009

I couldn't believe my eyes........


I was out in the shade and coolness of the early morning today when I heard unusual bird sounds coming from the trees. I looked up, and could not believe my eyes! There before me perched on the branches were what could only be described as a flock of about 10- 15 parrots. They were the prettiest green, and pink birds, and I truly felt like I was dreaming for a second or two.

When I regained my senses, I ran in to get my camera, but of course by the time I got back outside my bird chasing dog Lilly had seen them off. I watched sadly as they flitted and flew through my neighbours garden.

I came straight inside to do some research and soon found out here that this was not a mirage, and that the "Peach Faced Lovebirds" I had in my backyard are native to South-western Africa, and also frequent my local area. There is even a special map where one can plot sightings, of which there have been many around here apparently.

I am so excited that I saw such a special thing, and even though these birds are imposters, I hope very much that they decide our garden is a good place to spend more time soon.

5 comments:

fullfreezer said...

What fun!
Judy

leaner said...

How cool is that?

Mo said...

I have to say Judy and Leaner it totally made my day! It all seemed rather surreal at the time and I wondered whether I was losing my marbles. I was glad to find out I'm not, well not yet anyway. :)

bodaat said...

Wow, I was just thinking the other day how in Dubai we had resident parrots that would frequent our yard every day and how lucky we were to grow up with that! I can't believe that you got to experience this today and I bet that they will be back! Your garden must be little haven for them! How wonderful Mo. :)

Mo said...

Thanks Bo, and I do feel very lucky indeed. Not an every day occurence but maybe,(hopefully), it soon will be!

What with out huge caterpillars last Fall, and the parrots today I am beginning to feel like I live in a wildlife refuge! HAHA!!!!!