1. Plant something: Armenian cucumbers, zucchinis, and pumpkin. Not sure how well they will fare in the heat we are having, but we shall see.
2. Harvest something: A good time for this. I harvested, swiss chard, beets, radish, basil, carrots, and the past couple of days over two pounds of tomatoes with more on the way! They aren't the prettiest tomatoes I have ever seen but really, I am just amazed that I have some! :)
3. Preserve something: Does freezing stuff count? If so I made two big batches of pesto using basil from the garden and froze it. It freezes really well I have found. Tomorrow I start my canning adventure so next week should be a hoot!
4. Reduce waste: I am of course composting everything as usual. Now that it is so hot I am trying to be more mindful of cooking in a way that reduces the heat in the house so we have been barbecuing a lot. I have also been using the crock pot even more than usual. I am getting more and more creative at using up everything that is leftover in our fridge so that we very seldom throw any food away unless it looks a bit dodgy, and then the dogs get it.
5. Preparation and storage: I have the book "Food Matters", by Mark Bittman to read on my night stand as well as the usual huge pile of Mother Earth News. I am making a huge effort to read EVERY night rather than falling into bed exhausted because I know if I don't make the time it wont happen, and I do so love to read. I have also started digging out the old sand box for my new veggie patch. The sand will be used as top soil on the back yard.
6. Build community food systems: I gave swiss chard to our neighbour across the street, and to some Mom's at Kendra's school. I have also been asked by two separate people at school this past week to "teach" them how to grow veggies after they saw me give them away. Not sure if anything will come of it, but I am always happy to show them what I know, (which wont take long!), if it does
7. Eat the food: We had a swiss chard frittata like thingy this evening with tomato and basil, and we also had beets. I have also been eating radishes in salads, and we had pesto the other evening.
Animals And Life: The Sadness Thieves
7 hours ago