Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Abandoned

I have officially abandoned all attempts to remain positive about summer and the extreme heat it brings for us desert dwellers. Pathetic I know. It's not even the end of June!

It stayed in the mid nineties all last week while we were away, and of course has been much hotter since we got back, around 105 or so, with hotter temps predicted later in the week. Meanwhile it has been cool, and rainy up in the White Mountains since we left. Typical!

I haven't felt much like going outside to tend the garden over the past few days but I will have to force myself tomorrow because there is so much that needs to be done out there. I will feel much better after I make the effort I am sure.

For the past couple of days the girls and I have been hiding inside during the hottest part of the day, while I feel guilty about the AC running almost constantly. It's only going to get worse too. Gosh, aren't I a little ray of sunshine this evening!

One small comfort for me is that the dew point is on the rise which is a sign that the monsoons are on their way. While it is usually oppressively hot and humid during the monsoon season, We also get a welcome break in the monotony with storms that bring much needed rain. I don't mind that at all.

My poor girls, they are missing those mountains almost as much as I am.

6 comments:

Titania said...

Hi Mo, glad you had some respite in the mountains, it looks beautiful and "cool". In summer when it is really hot my garden gets abandoned because I can't stand the heat it makes me terrible tired but as soon the storms come it is better. Do not worry the garden never walks away, I had to learn that too. Tomorrow is another day!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Hey kid, don't feel guilty. All of us turn into lizards, slinking from shade pool to shade pool when it gets hot. On those scorcher days I just figure I will do what I can really early in the day while it is the coolest. Put your feet up and read a book!

Amber said...

Hi Mo!
Well even if it is impossible to completely beat the heat, I am sending you wishes full of cool mountain breezes, icy granitas, gelato, snowballs, misty waterfalls and rainbows (that come with rain of course)!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Hello again Mo. I couldn't find a way to email you so I am letting you know here that I have given you an award at my blog. I really appreciate your honesty in your blog. :)

Mo said...

Thanks for your wisdom Titania! x

Thanks for the award Gail, and I will do as you so wisely suggest although it will be a statistics textbook rather then a good book I am afraid! :)

Thanks Amber, I am feeling cooler already. x

Esther Montgomery said...

If I had been born in such heat, I would probably have stayed in it - but I don't think I would have moved into it.

Which makes me interested in how you came to be there.

Esther