Thursday, June 11, 2009

I seem to have grown a pumpkin!


Do I sound surprised? Well that is because I am slightly. I mean I did actually plant pumpkins a few months ago, but I don't think I really expected them to produce any.

Pumpkins have always seemed to me to be the kind of vegetable that "real" gardeners grow. You know, the kind of gardener that knows the latin names of all the plants, and produces those flawless looking tomatoes that look like they have come from, well from an actual garden I suppose.

Pumpkins for me have always been about everything that is special and exciting about the Fall, a season I adore, especially here in the States.

Pumpkins are of course totally Halloween, a holiday I greet with the excitement of a child.

And they are Thanksgiving too, a holiday I adopt each year with the extra gusto and enthusiasm of one adopting new customs and traditions. I relish the timeless act of making pumpkin pies every Thanksgiving Eve, although I have to admit that the pumpkin I use to make my pies habitually comes from a can.

And so, I am quite frankly amazed that I have a pumpkin growing in MY garden! It feels like a milestone, one that signifies I am moving along a path towards becoming the sort of gardener that grows.......... pumpkins!

And it signifies that the Fall traditions I love so much, and embrace so hard here in my adopted country, will mean more than ever.

And I can just taste all that cinnamoney, sweet, smooth, pumpkin pie, loveliness right now. Mmmmmmmmm.

6 comments:

Amber~ Care and Feeding of Wild Things said...

Oh my! What a pretty pumpkin!

Mid-life Midwife, CPM said...

Nice job! Let us know how your pie tastes in a few months! :)

Marilyn said...

Congratulations! I'm hoping to grow some pumpkins too. My Maricopa county garden calendar says I can grow them from seed in July....Here's hoping we'll have a couple for the grandkids!

bodaat said...

looks like a pie might be in your near future!

Mo said...

It is getting more orange each and every day! :)

Marilyn, I use Greg Peterson's planting calendar from the Urban Farm, and it seems to work quite well although I haven't tried using another, and your garden looks marvelous! He suggests planting pumpkins from seed from March 1st, through July 15th. He also suggests planting June 15th for a pumpkin that is ready for halloween. Don't know whether you would want to try planting some now and see what happens, it can't hurt right? :)

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the tip-I planted some organic small sugar pumpkin seeds today-June 15th! Hope you are enjoying the cool weather up north.