Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A brief review of my current favorite cookery books


I have a passion for cookery books, it is a family trait, and as a result I own and use many. Here is a very quick review of my favorite cookery books that I have been enjoying this summer.

If you have ever looked at the vegetables you have brought home from your Farmers Market, or grown in your garden, and wondered what on earth you will do with them, then Local Flavors is your answer. This is a visually stunning book, especially for someone such as me who has a passion for vegetables, and there are many new and delicious recipes for seasonal produce here. (I am looking forward to making Braised Root Vegetables with Black Lentils and Red Wine Sauce after the weather cools down, and I can finally celebrate the arrival of winter). This really is more than a cookery book though; it is also a celebration of Farmers Market around the country as gathering places where we can all embrace a true sense of community.

Vegetarian Suppers is another Deborah Madison book I have discovered. I love the idea of supper, and there are many ideas here for original and interesting vegetarian suppers. This book also has amazing pictures, and although a few of the recipes are a little fiddly to make, they are worth it for when time is not scarce. Special commendation must be made for “Pasta and Chickpeas” which is by no means fiddly, and is absolutely superb. “Zucchini Skillet Cakes” is also a great recipe for using up some of those zucchini’s that are inevitably taking over the kitchen counter tops.

Food Matter’s by Mark Bittman is described as “A plan for responsible eating that’s as good for the planet as it is for your weight and your health.” It is not a book filled with colorful pictures, but it is very easy to read, and is packed full of very good reasons why we need to rethink the way we eat, (as if we needed any more). The basic premise is that by eating a mostly vegetable, and wholegrain based diet, one can reduce ones carbon footprint significantly. I love the recipes that are included at the back, and keep this book on my kitchen counter because I use it so often.

3 comments:

fullfreezer said...

Oh, I LOVE cook books!!! I also have lots of them. But I don't have any of your current favorites. Oh dear, I foresee a new search.... One of my current favorites is 'Simply in Season' produced by the Mennonite Central Committee. It is a lovely book about eating seasonally, which often means locally. It was suggested to me last winter and I love it.
Judy

bodaat said...

what a great idea for a blog post! all of the books sound great... especially the vegetarian suppers one. i might have to look in to them! i need some new juice to be re-motivated to cook more.

Marilyn said...

I was looking at Food Matters the last time I was in the bookstore! Thanks for the review. I was contemplating whether my budget could handle it and it was a no-go on that particular date but I am definitely putting it on my wish list.