Monday, August 24, 2009

Independence Days Update

It has been several weeks since I have done one of these. I have been feeling so out of my groove recently, in so many ways, and even the thought of blogging, (which is usually something so enticing I can't resist it), has not seemed very appealing.

Anyway, I am feeling better, well better than I was this time last week at least. I still have episodes of wandering around the house not knowing which job to start first, but generally I am getting back to my usual active, and fairly productive self. I finished my stats class too, (hurray), and will now start a health policy class which I find really interesting, and which is rather appropriate for what is occurring in our country right now.

1. Plant something: Yes, snap beans, and three types of summer squash. The pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatillo's, and basil are all growing faster since it has been cooler, and more humid. I have tons more to plant over the next few weeks, and am having my usual fight for space of course.

2. Harvest something: Just basil which is never ending, and I love it! I will post a picture soon of all the pesto I have stashed away in the freezer. We definitely wont be going short this winter.

3. Preserve something: Pesto, in the freezer. I am living vicariously through my friends who live in places that have a normal summer, who are busily harvesting and canning all their wonderful produce. Lovely, and of course for me in true gardener style, there is always next year!

4. Reduce waste: Recycling, composting, using cloth bags, saving water, (I captured lots in an amazing storm that came through last Friday night), keeping AC at 83, washing and reusing Ziploc bags, line drying washing, taking clothes too, and buying clothes from Goodwill, etc, etc............

5. Prep and storage: Not much. I STILL have not finished the sand box digging project. ARRGGGHHH! It is never ending, and soon I will need the space desperately. I have been wishing I hadn't decided not to get chickens in my usual wobbly way, but I do know in my heart that it is the right decision. Not too much else. The backyard looks AWFUL. There is junk everywhere, and I haven't swept the back patio in weeks. Ah well, the end of the summer is at least in sight now.

6. Build community food systems: Spoke to one of the PTA ladies about maybe starting a garden at Kendra's new school. The PTA is very active, so I have every hope that they will at least be interested in hearing what I have to say. Fingers crossed.

7. Eat the food: Just basil.

No comments: