Monday, October 26, 2009

Let's walk to school!

I was interested to hear recently about National Walk to School Day, which was celebrated on October 7, 2009. It was an event to promote "safe walking and bicycling throughout the year", and consisted of events held all around the country encouraging kids to walk, or bike to school.

Today we started our own "walk to school" event which will I hope continue every day as long as this wonderful cool weather holds out. It is only about a mile and a half to Kendra's school, and most of it can be walked via fairly quiet streets so it is a perfect opportunity for us to get some exercise, while reducing our carbon emissions by a very small amount each day.

We are actually walking Kendra home from school each day because Emmie's school is still too far to walk to unfortunately so I will still need to drive her there each morning.

The girls were very excited. It was a little odd to me that something as simple as walking home from school could be such an exciting event for them, but then I am sure that it is a novelty for them to be walking anywhere within this suburban sprawl in which we reside. This is the perfect opportunity to start changing all that.

Now to get my bike back in bicycling order!

5 comments:

Amber said...

How nice!
Sometimes our whole family goes on an "after dinner walk" and I always end up thinking "why don't we do this always?!" Our dog is always jazzed for a walk.

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Walking is great! I know we wouldn't walk near as much if it weren't for our two dogs who are always ready. We've gotten to the point that now we have to spell the word or they come unglued!! And I think they are beginning to recognize the letter "W". My Rottie also checks to see what shoes I have on because I change them depending on the terrain we are going to walk on. He knows my "walkin'" shoes.

Mo said...

I love to walk too. Aren't dogs the best! Ours always go crazy when they see the leashes. I can only walk two at a time and the two left behind always look so sad.

Barbee' said...

It was only 2 miles between home and my school. When I was in high school, I loved walking home especially in Sept.

Mo said...

Hi Barbee, it has got rather hot here again, so depressing for November. This has made my eldest daughter start complaining bitterly at having to walk home in the heat, and the sun. I have to admit, it is a bit much as the heat really does reflect off the asphalt. I am hoping it will cool down again very soon!