Thursday, November 5, 2009

Garlic


Yesterday I planted the garlic that has been sitting on my counter top for weeks. I ordered it from Ronniger Potato Farm and I am sure that it is very glad to finally be planted in the earth.

I have never grown garlic before so I will be interested to see how it turns out. I am growing two kinds, Red Toch, and Silver White both of which are said to do well in warmer climates.

I also planted onion seeds yesterday, and I currently have swiss chard, (my everlasting favorite), spinach, carrots, leeks, and beet seedlings that are growing well.

I also have mature pepper and chili plants that are beginning to produce, and pumpkins, tomatillos, cucumbers, and zucchinis. I am getting a handful of cucumbers and zucchinis each day now which is great because I was beginning to think that I wouldn't get more than a handful of each this fall.

7 comments:

bodaat said...

i can't wait to have my veggie garden next year! we went to the queen creek olive mill yesterday and they have a very tine nursery but it was full of herbs and veggies and my heart was wishing to plant them in the ground. first we have to take down the awful awful ficus bush and then we'll be on our way! the zucchini looks great and the pesto even better. :)

Amy said...

Do you plant it just like that right out of the bag? It looks like the garlic cloves I get at the grocery store. How is it different?

sarada said...

Good luck..last year I planted some of supermarket ones and got produce too..Garlic will do great...

Amber said...

It is wonderful that you are taking us with you on your garlic growing adventure! I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Mo said...

Bo, it wont be long before you too are sharing your veggie gardening experiences. I can't wait!

Amy, I too thought the same thing when I first got it. Basically you just separate the cloves and plant each one. As Sarada said I am sure store bought ones would work just as well. This garlic is lovely but was quite pricey too!

Thanks Sarada, I enjoyed seeing yor garlic getting planted too. Thank you for stopping by and I will be back to visit you again soon!

Thanks Amber. Let's hope the "garlic journey" isn't a huge let down for us all! :)

Lucy Corrander said...

What strikes me here is how similar the vegetables you grow are to the ones we grown in England, despite the difference in climate.

Is this because you grew up in England and have taken your tastes with you or is it what everyone in Arizona grows?

Lucy

Mo said...

Lucy, I think the veggies grown here in the States are very similar to the ones grown back home.

I do think here in the States there is a lot of emphasis on pumpkins and winter squash, more than I am used to, but this might just be because my Dad didn't grow them. I really think veggie growing is a global language!

All veggies are pretty difficult to grow in a desert environment because the soil is so dry and lacking in nutrients. Native American Farmers in arid areas of the State typically grow fewer varieties of vegetable focusing mainly on corn, beans, and squash. They do this often with no irrigation, and focus on the natural properties of the land, and the veggies themselves to protect and nurture each other.

I am more greedy I am afraid and like to grow a variety. Of course this means I use way more water than I should, and I spend a lot of time amending the soil. Even then I have intermittent success.