Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Freezer Full


This is what a quarter of a grass fed cow looks like in one's freezer.

Despite the fact that this is meat raised in the most humane, and healthy conditions possible at the wonderful Date Creek Ranch, I still feel conflicted about it. But then, I feel conflicted about many things so that's nothing new.

I haven't cooked any of it yet as we have been drowning in turkey for the past week or so, but I will be interested to see how it cooks. It needs to be cooked slowly apparently in order to keep it moist, so I am sure my slow cooker will be useful over the next few weeks and months.

All in all I am happy that we bought meat this way. I am completely impressed with Date Creek Ranch, and I look forward to hearing from my family about how good it tastes.

4 comments:

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Mo, ya did good getting grass fed beef. My husband and I recently viewed the documentary "Fast Food Nation" and learned why grass fed is better. It's because cows are not meant to eat CORN. Corn just sets them up to carry the E Coli bacteria much better. It was quite the eye opening documentary. This country is getting turned into a country of huge conglomerates. And they certainly don't have our best interests at heart.

Mo said...

I agree Gail! Have you seen "Food inc"? It is one of the latest movies along this theme and is well worth seeing. I never saw Fast Food Nation, but I have read the book and it is an important subject for all to be aware of I think!

fullfreezer said...

I don't think you will be disappointed. We got a half a grass fed cow last January and are still working on it. I found that the roasts worked well for cooking slow, either in the crock pot or in the dutch oven. We grilled the steaks like we would any other and didn't have trouble with them being tough. If/when we do this again, I will have it cut a bit differently- we ended up with LOTS of hamburger. We don't eat a huge amount of beef so we've still got a few steaks, some roasts and lots of short ribs- we were going to smoke them this summer but never got it done. After eating this for a year, I can hardly stand commercially produced beef (I sometimes get stuck running patient lunch groups at work)- it has no flavor. Have fun exploring in your freezer!
Judy

bodaat said...

Haven't blogged about it yet but we watched Food, Inc during our honeymoon and I have no vowed to switch over as much as I can to naturally fed and raised animal meat. The hard thing is restaurants. :( Let us know what everybody thinks of the meat!