Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Solar Heated Christmas Present


Last Wednesday we got a new 80 gallon solar water heater installed. After the electric company rebates, and the federal and state tax credits, (which we wont get back until next year), it cost only a little more than installing a new gas water heater of which we were in dire need anyway. (Our old one was fourteen years old and was on it's last legs).

We also had a circulation pump installed so that we don't have to run the faucet or shower waiting for the hot water to arrive. I anticipate that we will save a lot of water as a result which always makes my day.

Here are the panels on the south facing side of our roof. You can hardly see them from the street, not that I would mind if you could.


Now we have lots of lovely solar heated water, and it feels really good each time I take a shower knowing that we are using the sun to heat the water instead of gas.

All around the best Christmas present we have ever had I think!

7 comments:

Amy said...

That is a lovely Christmas present....something that you will get to enjoy year after year after year. Merry Christmas, friend! Enjoy all that sun-powered hot water!

leaner said...

Lovely! I am so glad for you. :)

Mid-life Midwife, CPM said...

How wise to use all that ample sunshine for solar. :) What a great present too! I hope you all have a lovely holiday and many naturally-gained hot showers! xo

bodaat said...

congratulations! i'm happy for you guys as i know how much it means to you. we really need to do this ourselves - hopefully one day soon.

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

What!? No sexy lingerie or bon bons for Christmas? Hee hee. Actually I am envious of such a wonderful improvement to your home. You'll be thankful time and time again. Have a great Christmas Mo! Enjoy your time with you family.

Mo said...

That made me smile Gail! My days of sexy lingerie and bon bons are long gone. Come to think of it they were never really ever here. :)

Barbee' said...

Good for you, Mo. I would love to have something like that.