Wednesday, January 6, 2010

S.C.A.R.E.D

I am about two hours away from going to the first drumming lesson I have taken in about eleven years and I am quite simply......... terrified! I am not even sure why.

Things like this are supposed to be fun right? For me though as my own worst critic, the thought of sitting down in front of someone who I have never met before and showing him what I can, (or can't), do around a drum kit does not seem like fun right now.

I have done this before, many times, and I keep telling myself this, but I still feel awful. I emailed my favorite teacher from the U.K to tell him and this was his response:

"That is great news, just enjoy it. You are paying him to teach you, so HE should be nervous about doing a good job and he won't be judging you, just seeing where he can help out. Let me know how you get on and just enjoy it."

O.K. Brian, I know you are right, and I will try!

This is something I have wanted to be doing FOR YEARS. It is a lifetime dream of mine to play drums in a rock and roll band but despite practising by myself, I can't do this alone. I need help to make this dream come true. Oh why do I feel so awful?

Deep breaths, deep breaths.....................

Update- So two hours later I am home. Of course it was great despite my fears! I am so my own worst enemy. I love my new teacher and loved playing again at a full kit. Great time. Can't wait for my next lesson, and I am really glad I didn't cancel it which is what I felt like doing at various points this week. Silly girl. :)

5 comments:

Amber said...

Rock it girl! You'll be fine. Think about how you would truly feel if someone told you that you would never be allowed to drum again, and then revel in your freedom!

bodaat said...

Go Mo, go Mo, go Mo, go Mo! Go Mo, go Mo, go Mo, go Mo!! You can do it! Just remember that it's all about learning. :) And yes, you can definitely do this. :))

fullfreezer said...

Oh, what fun!!! Relax and enjoy yourself. Congrats for following your dreams!
Judy

Amy said...

Hope you had a fun lesson. Way to go in taking that first step towards your dream of being a rock and roll legend. : )

Mo said...

Woo hoo! Thanks my friends, what lovely encouragement and of course I had nothing to fear, it was F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C!!! :):)