Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Taking Root

I have been watching the growth of a couple of potatoes that I tossed into the compost bin a few weeks ago with much interest.

They obviously have enough moisture and nutrients to grow in there, and have now managed to sprout their way through the tiniest nooks and crannies to reach the light. Amazing really.




What healthy looking potato plants. I wonder if I will get actual potatoes or not? I will just have to wait and see.

I leave for Vancouver tomorrow. See you all in a week or so. Keep warm all of you who live in places where there is a real winter!

3 comments:

Mid-life Midwife, CPM said...

Cool volunteer potatoes! We had a load of them in our compost heap last summer. Very tasty norland reds! Let us know if your's work out!
Have fun in BC!

Barbee' said...

I deliberately grew a couple in an old garbage can of compost. It had a rusted out bottom. I did the hilling-up with aged chopped leaves. It grew and grew and I just kept adding old chopped leaves. Harvest wasn't great, but it was fun, except I kept forgetting to water it. For two people it was enough for two meals.

Luis said...

Hello,

We are new bloggers. We have a new blog that you can find here at http://www.organicbabyguide.net.

We find your site related to ours and we thought that it would be beneficial for both of us to do a blogroll link exchange. Please let us know if you are interested. You can comment on our blog, or e-mail us at organicbabyguide@gmail.com

Thank you
Luis and Christine
www.organicbabyguide.net