Sunday, February 28, 2010

Growing



It is an inspiring thing to me that despite my severe lack of motivation and energy recently the veggies in my garden just kept on growing without any help from me.

It helped that we have had so much rain of late which supplemented my rather sporadic watering. This has also helped the weeds to grow, but that is fine. I rather like sitting in the soil and pulling weeds.

The past week I have been lucky enough to harvest several pounds of spinach and of course my much loved swiss chard, as well as carrots, beets, and parsley. My seedlings are thriving as well and are almost ready to plant out once I have prepared their new homes.

I am feeling a bit more like myself again and although still not quite back to where I was in terms of my energy levels I don't think it will be long now.

I had pretty much written February off as a dead loss in terms of getting things done but it appears that my vegetable garden had other plans! Nice.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

OH WOW!!!!! Those look fantastic!!!! I'll bet your veggies are so delicious :) Amazing. Simply amazing!!!!

Matt said...

What do you do with Swiss Chard? I recently joined a CSA and got a ton of Swiss Chard. I made a bean soupm with it and sauteed some with Garlic. Any other ideas?

Mo said...

Hey Matt, I use it in all the recipes I would normally use spinach. I also make veggie lasagna often and mix the chard with cream cheese, and then layer it with pasta and tomato sauce as usual. I also saute it as you have. It is great with carrots, onions, and garlic, all sauteed lightly. There are also actually quite a lot of swiss chard recipes on the internet as well. Hope that helps!
Which CSA did you join?

Titania said...

Mo, it is a pleasure to see your healthy, beautiful vegetables. Those vegetables are their weight worth in gold. They are packed with goodness. The best you can feed yourself and your family.

Titania said...

Mo, it is a pleasure to see your healthy, beautiful vegetables. Those vegetables are their weight worth in gold. They are packed with goodness. The best you can feed yourself and your family.