Thursday, March 4, 2010

Anyone want some tomato plants?


As usual I have ended up with way more tomato seedlings than I could ever possibly have room for. I always imagine that the germination rate will be low, and it never is. There are also a lot of pepper seedlings which somehow lost their labels so I have no idea what kinds of peppers they will eventually become.

It is a good thing I have the extra space this spring in the excavated sand box, this will help, and I have managed to offload some seedlings to friends as well.

It is already planting time for early summer crops here. I plan on continuing to plant only what we eat a lot of again this spring to maximize my space.

This weekend I will be sowing summer squash and cucumbers, and some sunflowers for shade. My garlic and onions are doing great, as are the leeks. I will try to post an up to date garden picture soon because it has been a while, but I will need to do some weeding first.

Kendra's teacher at school has asked me to come and speak to the children about plants. She heard that I was into growing things, and wants to show some of the things I am growing during their science week at school. I am really looking forward to it a lot.

6 comments:

leaner said...

How cool about the plants and getting to talk to Kendra's class.

Titania said...

Beautiful seedling, better to many then not enough. I think this dilemma happens to all us gardeners.
It will be fun for you to speak to the children about your garden and growing plants. Kendra will be very proud of her Mommy.

Titania said...

Beautiful seedling, better to many then not enough. I think this dilemma happens to all us gardeners.
It will be fun for you to speak to the children about your garden and growing plants. Kendra will be very proud of her Mommy.

Julie said...

That's a lot of tomatoes! I kept foretting to buy seeds and ended up just buying a few tomato plants. Now I just hope they bear fruit!

Have fun with your class talk! I think kids would find it cool to hear from someone who grows her own food in her own backyard. My parents did that, and I think they're infinitely awesome for it.

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Hey Mo! I bet your tomatoes are a lot bigger by now. We have some that are about a foot high now but they are developing white spots on the leaves. We think it is sun scald. I'm not seeing any spores on them. We probably had them too close to the lights. Live and learn huh?

Mo said...

Hi Gail, you know they haven't grown too much although I only planted them out this past week. They weren't liking those tiny little seed tray spaces at all!

I am glad you are using your lovely greenhouse. Like so much I am sure it will be trial and error to get it right! :)