Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Long Overdue Garden Update

I have finally completed the new planting area in our old sand box. It took me way longer than I expected but it is now finished, and planted with cucumbers, zucchini's, and sunflowers.


It sits just in front of my regular garden, and for now has a wire fence keeping the dogs out. I need to work on something more permanent over the next few months.


My usual garden doesn't look very impressive right now although I am harvesting lots of swiss chard and spinach, and also beets and carrots which are almost finished. There are leeks and lettuces that are not quite ready yet, and I also planted out the tomato and pepper seedlings although they are still too small to see here.


Here is the garlic I planted, along with the onions. It seems to be doing well for now, but of course it hasn't been hot yet.


My grape vine has suddenly sprouted leaves the past few days. I was getting worried that it had died over the winter because it looked like a dried up old twig and wasn't doing anything until this week. Plants never cease to amaze me!


This Jasmine in a pot on the patio has really taken off this year and smells absolutely glorious.


I also have many desert wildflowers all around the yard. This is the first spring that many of them have bloomed, and I am beginning to get the wild, overgrown look I want in the yard although I still have a long way to go to get it exactly the way I like.

I have a half dug hole for the lovely Desert Willow tree which will replace the tree we lost in the storm. Unfortunately I hurt my back half way through digging it and so Robert will kindly be finishing that today. Pics to follow!

4 comments:

bodaat said...

i'm jealous of the jasmine! we grew up with jasmine so it is a favorite of mine. unfortunately i killed mine off. :) must try again!

Amy said...

Looks like you've been spending a lot of time outdoors.....delightful!

Enjoy your Spring and Happy Easter!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

You look like you have been very industrious Mo. I can almost smell the jasmine,...there is nothing more intoxicating. Your garden is sure way ahead of us!

Camille said...

Love your garden! It's lovely!