Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Low Desert Planting and Harvesting Calendar

I wanted to remind those of you who live as I do in low desert areas that Greg Peterson and Matt Suhr of The Urban Farm have been kind enough to compile and share their Low Desert Planting and Harvest Calendar.

If you have recently moved as I did from more temperate climes you will not be used to the different planting seasons here, and with the Fall planting season almost upon us again I imagine this guide will prove as invaluable for you as it has for me.

4 comments:

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

I live in a more temperate climate, but after looking at the calendar, I can understand how invaluable this is. Thanks so much for the resource!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

It does seem that I have noticed you planting twice a year, early spring and late summer. Am I correct in that?

Mo said...

Thank you for stopping by Susan! :)

yes Gail, I plant late winter/ early spring, and from now through early fall. There are a few things that can be planted somewhere in between too.

I was much too late this spring and had a pitiful harvest of tomatoes. I have some pepper plants that finally seem to be doing something but it is really important to beat the extreme heat for most things except perhaps melons, okra, armenian cucumbers, basil, and a few other things. Most plants just have no energy in the severe heat just like me! :)

Jenn said...

Thank you!