Friday, September 17, 2010

Dilemma

My gardening style, (if I even have one which is highly unlikely), is to plant stuff that grows well in a dry climate that I like, and hope for the best. Sometimes things grow, sometimes they don't, and sometimes if I am really lucky things grow that I didn't even plant. I always view this as an unexpected bonus, especially as they are more often than not arid plants that do well in our dry environment because if they weren't they wouldn't have grown themselves here.

I have had two beautiful self seeded palms for several years now in the corner of my yard. I suspect they are date palms, although I know little about palm trees so I am certainly not sure. Anyway, they seeded themselves and have been growing slowly but surely for ages, and are really quite lovely. They require no care because they chose the perfect spot and anywhere else I would be ecstatic to have such lovely freebies growing so well.



My problem is that I like a wild and unruly look in my yard, and I think all the nature we get in our yard likes it too, but I think these palms just make everything look messy and overcrowded. In fact it all looks like a total mess to me.


What should I do? Should I just cut them down, (which would make me awfully sad), should I try to move them which may or may not be a success, or should I leave them where they are and see what happens? Anyone have any other ideas?

8 comments:

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

My vote is to move them. If you are consider cutting them out anyway, why not take the chance?

Amy said...

If they bother you that much I say try to re-plant them elsewhere in your yard. I suspect they'd survive given that they don't seem to require any maintenance or upkeep on your part in their current location.

Good luck!

rohrerbot said...

Personally I think it looks beautiful, but if it bothers you(and I have the same issues:), right now is the time to move those palms while the soil is warm. They'll have a better chance of survival, but don't cut them down....try them somewhere fun:) I have two palms that have grown in planters and I need to move them soon before the cold comes. They are growing in planters along the house and have been there for several years....they are going to be hard to yank out.:)

bodaat said...

i kinda like the messy garden look but go with your gut. if every time you look at it, you're thinking the same thing...then move them! good luck with your decision!

Christine B. said...

Life is too short to entertain plants in a spot you don't like. I vote with the move them crowd. I hope they're not too heavy...if so, may I recommend a tarp to help you move them?

Christine in Alaska, no palm trees

Mo said...

Thanks everyone for the input. I really value and appreciate it all! I may be making a decision by default right now though by leaving them where they are because it is still way TOO HOT outside for me to even want to do any serious yard work. I just want to hide away in our shuttered house. Come on fall where are you? Thanks again everyone, I will keep you posted. :)

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

I think you should leave them. They may seem messy now, but they are palm TREES right? That means they will grow tall and add some beautiful dimension to your yard. I think that they just feel messy right now because they are lower to the ground. My humble opinion...

Mo said...

Thanks Gail. I have had the exact same thoughts. I value your opinion greatly and for now at least they will be staying because truthfully I don't have enough energy to do anything else right now. Thanks again. x