Saturday, October 23, 2010

Butterflies, Pumpkins and Mice


I took Emily out of preschool yesterday to go to the pumpkin festival at the Desert Botanical Garden. We have been going every year since both girls were babies and it is a nice fall desert tradition for us. It will be the last chance we get to go mid week because Emily will be in kindergarten next year, and I wont take her out of school for it. We also stopped by the monarch butterfly exhibition. All in all it was a lovely morning with perfect fall weather!

This morning I was watering the compost in one of my boxes and was surprised when a mouse stuck it's head out, took one look at me and ducked back inside. To my knowledge I have not had any rodents in my compost before so I was rather surprised. I am not sure if I should be too concerned or not? I mean obviously I don't want any coming into the house, but they are already living outside, and I am quite happy to coexist with them. If they weren't in the compost presumably they would be elsewhere.

I have done quite a lot of research about rodents in compost today and as usual there is loads of conflicting information out there. I imagine if I keep the compost damper than usual for a while it will deter them from nesting, although it may be too late for that. I couldn't bear the thought of harming them although one of my resident king snakes that I know for sure roam around the veggie garden may not be quite as tolerant!

6 comments:

rohrerbot said...

Hmmmmm....interesting post. I love the monarchs....they are so beautiful. I don't know how far the compost pile is from your place. Mice can get into some strange places and where there one, there's usually another. My sister purchased a home and freaked the first time they found one in their kitchen...now it has become a running joke. Mice will seek warmer places in colder weather and they will crawl through small spaces to get inside a home. If you are out near a wash or in the country more, I wouldn't be concerned for the house but more for your shed area. I would say just keep an eye out now that you know the little guy is around...after all that's why we have snakes:) Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Mo, one thing you should consider is that mice can bring disease. I lived in an area where Hanta virus was rampant and every so often someone would die from Hanta virus. We would be overrun with rodents where I live if we did not use bait stations. We do not have snakes. My family's health and well being are too important to leave to chance. I know you have to weigh pros and cons and you want to peacefully coexist with the critters but please consider all the ramifications. I don't think you want mice tap dancing in your silverware drawer.

Mo said...

Hi Gail,
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate your concern! :) I am aware of all the negatives of rodents believe me, I tend to be the person who immediately thinks of the worst but I also believe that they are everywhere around us. I think the main battle we have with any of these creatures is to keep them away from places we don't want them to be and I fully intend to do this. I would never tolerate them in our home. Thank you again, you are very sweet. x

leaner said...

I have mice in mine, too! The neighborhood cats love them as they are fat and slow.

Mo said...

Leaner, I have been wanting to get a cat for a while but with all our dogs now is not the time. Wishing we had some neighbourhood cats here just like you! :)

Mo said...

Thanks Rohrerbot and I hope you have enjoyed your weekend. Isn't the weather GLORIOUS!! :)