Monday, January 24, 2011

In the Garden

Life is crazy right now, so many things going on. Each day is filled to the brim with activity which is good right? Well yes, except that blogging has slipped down to the bottom of my list again, and so has my poor garden. This bad green blogger seems to have lost her focus.

This time of year, the time of year when everyone else in the north and east of this country are indoors, and freezing, is the time of year that we desert dwellers are growing veggies. We have to get them in and growing now before the time of year arrives that we here dread, the time of year we spend indoors, and boiling....S.U.M.M.E.R. (Just saying it makes me shudder).

Somehow though I have still managed to get some things growing out there for which I am grateful, especially seeing as they have pretty much been looking after themselves apart from an occasional drop of water, and the odd sprinkle of compost.

Spinach.


Much beloved swiss chard.


Broccoli.


Tomatillos that I didn't even plant. (I seem to have the best luck with bonus plants!).


And eggplants.


Perhaps I have rediscovered my green thumb again.

Or perhaps sometimes you have to stop trying so hard and just let things happen the way they are meant to.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

They look beautiful and refreshingly green.

Lucy

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

It all looks so delicious! Good job! Yes, up north here we certainly were huddled inside, but the last week has been gorgeous and we have no snow on the ground. So we are thumbing through the seed catalogs and plotting this next year. Your garden is an encouragement.

sugarcreekstuff said...

When I look outside to a world covered in white, your pics are exactly what I needed to see.

Clare said...

Hi Michelle

There I was in our kitchen (outside temp -1c) making some winter comfort food - Delia's 4 cheeses canelloni with two huge bags of spinach and wondering how your garden was growing. Et voila, some new photos from you.

xx

rohrerbot said...

How are they now with the frost? Yikes!

Mo said...

They are snuggly covered with two layers of frost cloth! The eggplants and tomatillos are the most likely to be damaged though they made it through the last bout of frost OK. The other stuff does OK in cold weather. Thanks for thinking of them!