Sunday, July 24, 2011

Birds

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I love birds but that I am terrible at indentifying them. I simply don't understand and appreciate the subtle differences between each type I am afraid. I want to do a post about the many nests we have had in our yard this past spring and summer but first I need some help in identifying a bird that has been flocking in large groups in our yard the past few months though less so since it got really hot.

These pictures are poor because they were taken through a window but they were the best I could get. This particular day Emily and I counted eighteen of these birds in this bush at one time, and we used to see them all the time especially in my fountain. I think they are probably goldfinches because the male birds have bright yellow bellies with black heads and I think my friend Jenn advised me last year that this was so with what I think are the same birds, but I am not certain.

Jenn, are you there? Can you help me please my resident bird expert?

4 comments:

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

American Goldfinches? They have a wonderful dipsy-doodling flight.

Mo said...

Hi Lisa and Robb, yes I am thinking they are American goldfinches. We had an entire flock living and nesting in our backyard this spring. Lovely! :)

Jenn said...

Yep. Those black and white wingbars are also distinctive markers for these birds.

Mo said...

Thanks Jenn! :)