Sunday, August 21, 2011

What's For Dinner?

I worked all day today and I am tired, and Robert is working this evening, so I have to admit I was short on ideas, and time for dinner for the girls and I this evening. We didn't have much in the way of anything inspiring at home either so I took the girls to our local grocery store and said that they could choose whatever they wanted for dinner. They were very excited by this.

I am not quite sure what I was expecting them to choose, perhaps pizza, or chicken nuggets and fries, or some other favorite food typical of a seven and a five year old. Instead of this they went immediately to the produce section, and quickly chose exactly what they wanted.

Their first choice was brussel sprouts and they were most disappointed when we couldn't find any which I was actually quite relieved about because I am sure they would have been flown half way around the world to be here in Phoenix in August. What they finally chose was cucumber, fresh corn, zucchini, red pepper, cilantro, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. (These items probably also had a fair few air miles clocked up between them!).

We then came home and prepared and cooked everything which wasn't quite the super quick and easy supper I had planned but I am certainly not complaining. We ate sliced cucumber, corn, steamed broccoli and cauliflower with grated cheese on top, zucchini sauted in olive oil with red pepper, onion, salt pepper and a little cumin, and steamed carrots. It was a great dinner and I am so happy that my girls love veggies as much as I do. Not sure quite how that happened but I am very happy nonetheless!

This also inspires me to make much more of an effort to go regularly to one of the wonderful farmers markets here in the valley with the girls. There is absolutely no excuse not to buy fresh local produce especially when I have two girls who love vegetables so much but I am afraid I have not been very organized of late and have got out of the habit.