Sunday, November 6, 2011

It is Time

My heart hasn't really been in my blog for a long time now despite a couple of attempts at returning after taking a break. I don't feel as though I have much to say that I haven't said already in regards to my attempts at trying to live more sustinably in the suburbs.

It is harder than it may seem, living sustainably in the suburbs. Not that I don't do many small things that I hope will make a difference like trying to grow food, buying locally, using green products, reducing, reusing and recycling... etc etc.

I have yet to make a significant dent on the two things that would make the most difference and these are driving, and reducing energy use in our home. I still find it difficult to reduce driving to a level that would be conserving much energy because.... well, I live in the suburbs where there is little reliable public transport, and where one is literally taking ones life in ones own hands by cycling. We also still use an astounding amount of energy cooling our home in the summer despite keeping our house at 83 degrees, and keeping it shuttered up like a cave during the hot months. Unless we get a solar system installed this isn't going to change, and that isn't a prospect for the forseeable future due to how much it would cost to install. Sad but true.

So for now I will have to make do with what I have already achieved and continue to dream of a move away from the suburbs one day when practical for my family. Perhaps then I will feel as though I am achieving more than I currently am in an attempt to save this beautiful world of ours. Perhaps then I will also return to blogging.

I will still be checking in with all the blogs out there that I love and thank you!

7 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

It's challenging isn't it? The suburb life...the constant driving...the Arizona blocks that are too large to walk....I hope you find the time to write every now and again. Plus blogging evolves and I find our focus will shift from time to time....it's okay if it's not all green. It is nice to read your posts so I hope you'll drop a note every now and again about what's going on in your world. It's cold here!!! I don't know about you all, but I have thick pijamas on! I love it! I hope we get a lot of rain tomorrow. Take care. Chris

fullfreezer said...

I haven't commented much recently but I do read what you've been up to. I do hope you will drop in occasionally to let us all know how you're doing. The desert is such a different place to me, I always find it fascinating all that you can grow there.
Take care.
Judy

Esther Montgomery said...

It's the trouble with the turning year. The seasons re-arrive relentlessly and there comes a time when one is likely not to want to be bothered with yet another seed list that is much the same as the one used for the last three years.

On the other hand . . . it may be that there are different topics to tackle. You may be completely fed up with blogging per se . . . but, if not, there is no reason to feel constrained by the limits you have set for yourself. You can even change the title if you want to . . . Drumming in the Desert . . . Down With Maths . . .

Whatever you do - good wishes.

Esther

Mo said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely thoughts. Makes me want to stay! :) Perhaps I will feel inspired again soon. I hope so anyway. x

Jenn said...

Peace.

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Mo, I understand. I haven't been much in a blogging mode either this past year. I did really enjoy your blog and all the wonderful pictures that you posted. Myself, I'm still into gardening, but am widening my horizons into Herbology. So I am in a studying mode at present. Keep the faith and don't beat yourself up about not entirely achieving your goals. Everything takes time. It would have no worth if it was instantaneous. You Rock!!

Gail - Fort Rock Glimpses said...

Mo, I understand. I haven't been much in a blogging mode either this past year. I did really enjoy your blog and all the wonderful pictures that you posted. Myself, I'm still into gardening, but am widening my horizons into Herbology. So I am in a studying mode at present. Keep the faith and don't beat yourself up about not entirely achieving your goals. Everything takes time. It would have no worth if it was instantaneous. You Rock!!